We haven’t updated in a while, but we haven’t been slacking on progress. As of earlier this month, we are now a registered business: The Roller Coaster Project, LLC. Though many of you already know of our Coaster knickknacks in our Store, we have big things in the works and creating our business entity is just the beginning.
This November we will be attending the IAAPA Attractions Expo in Orlando, Florida. We will work on bringing the Biggest Little Ride to more people worldwide, and we hope to meet some of our fans, Kickstarter backers, or just roller coaster enthusiasts like us!
Moving on to what’s been happening around the shop…
We’ve been wrapping up our Kickstarter rewards and sending them to our wonderful backers, while simultaneously working on something new. There will be more mentioned about this “new” object soon, but hopefully it’ll grace your desktop in the near future.
Since our campaign ended, we have been working diligently to complete and ship the various rewards. In making these rewards, we have had to learn new skills and research many fields of science and engineering and manufacturing. To build some of the rewards we had to create custom tools to accomplish the job. Below are pictures of mild steel being turned on a lathe prior to being heat treated.
Using the MAPP gas torch, we were able to heat the metal to roughly 1700 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the metal was bright orange, we immediately quenched it in warm water to strengthen the crystal structure. We then ground the metal with our grinding wheel to the desired angles. Finally, we heated the metal to regain some durability and let it slowly cool. The tool above is a boring bar used for our small axles.
Next, we focused on minor electrical engineering and circuits. To power our ride we are using a 12V electric motor that is stepped down from a wall outlet. The power supply below does all the heavy work, and a fuse after ensures safety.
From the hi-torque electric motor, a system of pulleys will increase the overall torque and lower the speed to drive our cars up the lift hill via roller chain.
To machine parts of our cars, we surfaced the 6061 aluminum with our trusty fly cutter on the Taig Mill. Thanks to Dan DeArmond for some suggestions to ensure accurate, smooth, cutting. Feel free to stop by Dan’s site if you’re interested in learning to machine and want a benchtop mill yourself: DeArmond Tool.
We had to make specialty lateral clamps to hold down our thin stock material after surfacing. Once the material was held in place and aligned, we proceeded to mill the car dimensions.
We removed more metal with this one car than we have through machining to this point.
Next, the bolt holes needed to be spotted and drilled. However, this was more of a trial run and we noticed a few areas that need improvement.
We will be refining some fabrication practices, but we should have a car completed within days. Be on the lookout for a pretty large update, and we will work on uploading videos to our Construction Log soon.